California has state tax of 6%, and allows local government to collect tax up to 3.5%. In Bay area, the sales tax is around 9.5%. If you just moved here and started working, it’s hard to afford buy or lease a car. Here are recent two apps I use for carpooling.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Carpooling
- Money-saving: you will save car lease, gasoline fees, car insurance fees, etc
- Safety: If you just get the driver license, it will be risky to drive in the highway.
- Explore the network: every uber/ Carpool drivers have more stories, it will break your comfort zones.
- Net-working: Most of Scoop drivers work nearby you. You might end up making good friends!
- Time saving: Carpool lanes can save you tons of time
- Preventing the global warming
- Sitting with strangers (Driver/ riders)
- Still more expensive than buying a cheap car (if commute distance is long)
- Your safety is in the hand of other person.
The introduction of carpooling app
- Covered Area: SF city and great bay area.
2. Flat fare package: Fixed price. But if you’re riding with a ride pass and the original cost of the ride exceeds the maximum value. You’ll be charged the flat fare plus and overage.
3. Day: 28 days ( The app will show all the detail of your current pass, including how many rides and days you have left)
- Cover Area: SF city and great bay area.
- Flat fare package: $4~$8 depends on the distance. If you are located in bay area and want to save some money, why not go ahead?
- Request time: Need to register by 3:30pm for evening ride/ and by 9pm for next day morning ride. And Scoop will match your driver.
|Uber 28 day pass||Scoop|
|Price ( From Mountain View to Fremont/ From Fremont to Mountain View; 17 miles)||$3.49 Uber Pool/ $6.99 Uber X, but price will overage sometimes( to $13 ~$18)||$4~$8 depends distance, Cheaper|
|Driver/ Rider Rating||It will show on the apps||Unseen for rider|
|Purchase time||Certain time offer||Anytime|
|Time flexibility||Request anytime||Need to register by 3:30pm for evening ride/ and by 9pm for next day morning ride|
|Weekday||Available anytime||Only from 4:30~11:15am/ 4:10~8:40|
|First Sign up promotion||$10 Credit||$20 Credit|
|Apply||Register ( or use my promo code uberBeckyuber)||Register ( or use my promo code BECKY5Z6)|